The program at Goshen Friends, an independent Quaker school founded in 1959, is based on the philosophy that children learn best through dynamic play. Throughout the school year, students are engaged in a variety of activities that are designed to help them grow socially, emotionally, creatively, and academically. Goshen’s experienced teachers honor each child’s individual spirit, helping them to grow independently while teaching them the value of friendship and teamwork.
Year-round, students learn and play both inside and outside. A robust holistic and experiential curriculum in all classrooms includes thematic, play-based lessons that nurture pre-reading, pre-writing, pre-math, and pre-science skills. All students enjoy “specials” classes in art, music, and Spanish, as well as an outdoor education class that takes advantage of the school’s 10-acre campus with nature-based activities like story walks, treasure hunts, gardening and yoga. The curriculum engages the youngest students in preschool through the oldest students in pre-kindergarten with opportunities for hands-on learning that spark children’s natural curiosity and desire to learn.
Goshen Friends School offers:
- By My Side, a gentle introduction to the preschool routine for toddlers and their caregivers (students must be 18 months old by class start date to participate)
- Two-, three-, four-, and five-day preschool and pre-kindergarten options for children ranging in age from 2 to 5
- Weekly classes in art, music, Spanish, and outdoor education for all preschool and pre-kindergarten students
- Recess every day on the school's large, fenced-in playground outfitted with equipment especially designed for 2- to 5-year-olds
- Small class sizes - 12 in preschool and 15 in pre-K - with 2 teachers per classroom allow each child to be met at his or her level of academic readiness and ensure individualized attention.
- Afternoon Extended Care
- Community service experiences for students and families
- Summer Camp
"What a sweet and loving school, a wonderful place to learn and grow!!"
"I couldn't imagine a better place to have begun my education. I have wonderful, warm memories of GFS."
"So many fun, kid-centered learning activities at this great school."